Backup of LPAR by booting into Suse installer DVD rescue mode
To take disk level image backup of LPAR to a remote location use:
- We should have a backup destination with dd, nc installed. It can be a Linux machine (Physical or VM) or in case of Windows install Cygwin with ddrescue and nc also selected along with default packages.
- Boot the LPAR via "System Management Service" so that we can go to rescue mode of CD. (Suse12SP4)
- Use steps similar to "Activating the LPAR (Starting)" but instead of installation, we should go to rescue mode.
- login with username root. It wont ask password
- Configure IP addressing via Ip
- ip addr add 192.168.50.242/24 dev eth0
- ip link set eth0 up
- In case of cygwin we can do following on destination
- cd /cgdrive/e/
- nc -l 9000 | dd of=suse-upgrade-12sp4-backup.raw
- For linux refer Cloning disks or partitions using dd
- On source we can use:
- dd if=/dev/sda | nc 192.168.50.89 9000
- If required we an monitor progress as explained at Cloning disks or partitions using dd