Configure NTP client on AIX
To configure NTP client on AIX use:
- Assuming DNS is working or configured as per Configure DNS via resolv.conf on AIX. We should be able to ping the desired ntp servers such as pool.ntp.org or time.google.com via DNS.
- Synchornize time with suitable NTP server
- ntpdate -d ip.address.of.server
- For example
- ntpdate -d pool.ntp.org
- Note that this will change current time on AIX system immediately. If there is a DB / app running perhaps this should be done during downtime after taking adequate precautions.
- Validate date and time are corrected
- Edit /etc/ntp.conf file to make following changes
- Comment out 'broadcastclient' line
- Mention name of servers such as below example:
- server time.google.com
- server 0.pool.ntp.org
- server 1.pool.ntp.org
- Start ntp service for current boot using:
- startsrc -s xntpd
- Configure NTP to automatically start on machine reboot by editing '/etc/rc.tcpip' and uncomment
- start /usr/sbin/xntpd "$src_running"
- Verify ntp is working as expected using:
- lssrc -ls xntpd
- ntpq -p