Adding content packs for collecting application logs through VMWare Log Insight
VMWare Log Insight can be used to collect OS and application logs from different sources to aggregate them at a single location. To configure application logging using VMWare Log Insight use following steps:
- Log into Log Insight as admin user
- Go to top right menu and choose "Content Packs" option
- Download appropriate content pack for your application (eg Tomcat)
- Again use top right menu and go to "Administration"
- Using left menu bar go to "Agents" page
- From the above drop down box select appropriate template (eg Tomcat) and click "Copy" to create a new group with selected template
- Below filter machines based on IP, OS, etc. to limit the machines which should be part of this group
- Further below after agents/machines go to Build /Edit section and update "File Logs" and "Parsers" with location of log file, log file name pattern, files to exclude, parser to be used to process corresponding log file, etc.
- Finally click save to save configuration
- Go to corresponding agent to see only logs coming from that agent
- Generate a few test log lines and verify that the logs lines are visible on the log browser window.