Enabling Realtek NIC on VMWare ESXi6.5
This assumes on-board Intel etc. NIC is already working and add-on Realtek NIC is not resulting into appropriate vnic creation
- Login into ESXi host web console and go to Manage -> Hardware -> PCI Devices
- Click on "Realtek NIC line" and verify Device ID: 0x8168 and Vendor ID: 0x10ec. If Subdevice ID is 0x123 and Subvendor ID is 0x10ec then even better.
- Enable SSH and console to ESXi, if not enabled already
- SSH to host and run
- esxcli software acceptance set --level=CommunitySupported
- esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
- esxcli software vib install -n net51-drivers -d http://vibsdepot.v-front.de
- Reboot the host using web console
- Verify through web console that additional nic is visible
- In case there is no working NIC for SSH and access to drivers hosted on Internet, one should connect to ESXi host using KVM and use 'Alt+F1' to get shell access. Then from there use above commands while providing required vib via USB drive.