CentOS 7.x Zimbra GALsync between two Zimbra servers
Zimbra has a special account for GAL (Global Address List). Search for 'gal' in all users list after logging in at :7071 as admin to see current Zimbra server gal account. You can use "view mail" for gal and go to gal accounts contact to see _InternalGAL address book.
To enable externalGAL for a particular domain use following steps:
- Login as Zimbra admin
- Go to COnfigure -> Domains
- Right click on domain name and choose "COnfigure GAL"
- Change "GAL mode" to "Both"
- Leave most things blank or default
- Server type should be LDAP
- Use ldap://<external-server-ip>:389 with SSL as LDAP URL
- LDAP filter should be "(&(mail=*)(zimbraAccountStatus=active)(!(zimbraHideInGAL=TRUE)))"
- Autocomplete filter should be "(|(cn=%s*)(sn=%s*)(gn=%s*)(mail=%s*))"
- LDAP search base should be "dc=<domain>,dc=<com>"
- Click next.
- Enable "Use DN/Password to bind to external server" option
- For Zimbra server as external GAL source, Bind DN should be uid=zimbra,cn=admins,cn=zimbra
- For Other zimbra server LDAP password use following commands as zimbra user on other server
- source bin/zmshutil; zmsetvars
- set | grep 'zimbra_ldap'
- Use displayed zimbra_ldap_password value in the "Configure GAL" configuration wizard as password
- Leave "Use GAL search settings for GAL sync" enabled and click next.
- Type random string in search term (eg john) and click next. Note that search results would not be related to search string.
- Optionally run "Sync Test" which should be successful.
- Click "Finish" to complete configuration
- For GAL configuration :: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Steps_to_make_two_domains%27_GAL_available_for_each_other
- For Zimbra LDAP structure :: https://www.zimbra.com/docs/os/4.5.10/administration_guide/5_Zimbra_LDAP.5.1.html
- For working with Zimbra OpenLDAP server :: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/LDAP_data_import_export
- For more information on Zimbra GAL sync account :: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/GAL_Sync_Account