Take backup of zimbra server
There is updated version of article at CentOS 7.x Zimbra backup and restore
To take backup of Zimbra server use following steps:
- Use "df -h" to check space occupied by all files stored in /opt. Verify that enough space is free on destination drive. Note that same set of files may occupy different space on a different file-system (ext3 to ext4)
- Rsync /opt/zimbra to backup folder. This rsync should be done without stopping Zimbra. This is intended to reduce overall backup down-time
- rsync -vtrp --delete --sparse /opt/zimbra /backup/zimbra-yyyy-mm-dd
- Stop running zimbra server by running 'zmcontrol stop' as user zimbra
- Verify that all Zimbra processes have stopped using 'ps -U zimbra -u zimbra'
- Again rsync /opt/zimbra to backup folder. This time backup would be consistent / stable.
- Start zimbra again by using 'zmcontrol start' command as zimbra user
Other backup suggestions are present at
- https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Open_Source_Edition_Backup_Procedure#A_Simple_Shell_Script_Method (Most preferable and simple)
- https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Open_Source_Edition_Backup_Procedure (Other options)
Restoring Zimbra from full file level backup
To restore Zimbra from full file level backup to the following:
mv /opt/zimbra /opt/old-zimbra rsync <backup> /opt/zimbra #mv or cp instead of rsync as appropriate chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms
After this download the same version of Zimbra that was installed. It is important to remember the version number or not delete the installation directory. Again do './install.sh' of same version.
Do not use './install.sh -u' because all data would be lost.