Removing VDS and migrating to Standard switch using vCenter 6.5
This requires at least two NICs on each and every host connected to VDS for migration to work smoothly without affecting running VMs. In case of proper servers with iDRAC/IMM/iLO out of band management you can also consider going to ESXi console and reseting the host, if there are no production VMs/Templates on it.
- Create standard switches with required port-groups (VM Network, 172_24_vlan_24 etc.)
- Remove one uplink from Distributed switch and add it to standard switch
- Click on standard switch and use option for migration kernel port to standard switch (Management Network)
- Migrate VMs to standard switches
- If there are templates then convert templates to VM and migrate them also to standard switch. Again convert from VM to template.
- Remove VDS after no dependency is shown for it except one connected uplink.
- The second uplink can also be connected to vSwitch.